Apply for Employment Insurance

Apply for Employment Insurance

You may need to apply for Employment Insurance if you have been laid off or made redundant. There are some things you should know about the process, as well as the benefits that come with it.

Application process

You will likely have to apply for Employment Insurance if you are an employer. The process can be complicated, and it pays to know what you are doing before you start. An excellent place to start is the CRA’s online application portal. You can also consult an Employer Relations Specialist for help.

Similarly, there is a website called the Represent a Client program. This is an excellent resource for employers, but you will need to provide all your pertinent information at once. In particular, you will need to answer the most critical EI reporting questions about your employees and keep a list handy.

For a self-employed individual, you will need to provide the net income you make. To do this, you can use a spreadsheet. There are also several software packages that you can download for free, and they can simplify the job. Lastly, you can call the UI Contact Center, but you will have to spend some time on the phone before speaking with a representative.

Sickness benefits

When you have a health condition, it’s always important to know that your job will remain protected, no matter how long you must take off work to recover. In Canada, Employment Insurance (EI) can provide benefits for those with a severe illness.

During the 2019-2020 fiscal year, EI assisted 421,140 claimants. Currently, EI sickness benefits last for up to 15 weeks. However, the Government is extending this benefit to 26 weeks beginning December 18, 2022. This will allow more time for Canadians to recuperate and regain their strength.

You must have 600 hours of insured work over the past 52 weeks to qualify for EI sickness benefits. You must also have a medical certificate signed by a doctor showing the length of your absence and explaining your condition.

You must also notify the Government if there is any change in your health. For example, if you are traveling to receive treatment, you can fill out an Absence from Canada form.